This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Third Draft "Unsafe fp optimizations" project description.
- To: dewar at gnat dot com
- Subject: Re: Third Draft "Unsafe fp optimizations" project description.
- From: Brad Lucier <lucier at math dot purdue dot edu>
- Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 14:59:14 -0500 (EST)
- Cc: lucier at math dot purdue dot edu, toon at moene dot indiv dot nluug dot nl, gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
> <<Finally, I suggest that the document say explicity that gcc
> reserves the right to apply any transformation that does not change
> the value of an expression or the settings of the exception flags
> under IEEE 754 arithmetic.
My point is that gcc should feel free to apply transformations that
do not change results in IEEE arithmetic, even if they
might change the results in some other arithmetic (old Cray
arithmetic, say, where x / 2.0 may not have been equivalent to x * 0.5).