Re: SH Linux: remove big endian multilib

NIIBE Yutaka wrote:

> But this is irrelevant.  I agree that sets of "single specified"
> target is good.  But I believe that the definition of sh-unknown-linux-gnu
> (sh-linux in short) is supporting multiple targets.

To what end?  It isn't needed, and isn't useful.  And, as has been mentioned,
libgcc doesn't build.

> (1) We should support following four targets in GCC which is NOT multilibbed.
>         sh3-unknown-linux-gnu
>         sh3eb-unknown-linux-gnu
>         sh4-unknown-linux-gnu
>         sh4eb-unknown-linux-gnu
>
>     With those single specified architecture targets, you can build GCC,
>     with GNU C library.  To do this, I need a patch I've sent to gcc-patches.
>
> Do you agree this?

We use sh3el-*-linux-gun, sh3eb-*-linux-gnu, sh4el-*-linux-gun, sh4eb-*-linux-gnu.
This is similar to MIPS (which is not a model of consitency).  This makes the
target endianness explicit.

> (2) Removing multilib from sh-unknown-linux-gnu is questionable for me.
>     I'm afraid of it just means let the target sh-unknown-linux-gnu
>     as sh3-unknown-linux-gnu.

For gcc, sh-*-linux-gnu is not useful.  For an application, this is a reasonable
configuration, since the actual details (3 vs 4, le vs be) are known by gcc.

> (3) If you don't like multilibbed environment, just not use
>     sh-unknown-linux-gnu, which supports multiple targets.
>     Instead, use single one.

Well, since gcc will not build when configure sh-*-linux-gnu, this is
pretty obvious.

> (4) I believe that the target sh-unknown-linux-gnu means supporting
>     four targets:
>         sh3-unknown-linux-gnu
>         sh3eb-unknown-linux-gnu
>         sh4-unknown-linux-gnu
>         sh4eb-unknown-linux-gnu
>     To suppurts those four targets, it uses multilib.
>
> (5) Currently, GNU C library doesn't support multilibed installation.
>     However, you can manually set up the environment.  Compile &
>     install & move for those four targets (four times).

To what purpose?

--
Michael Eager     eager@mvista.com	408-328-8426
MontaVista Software, Inc. 1237 E. Arques Ave., Sunnyvale, CA  94085