g77: 'D' edit descriptor?

Hello;

When used for output processing under g77, the 'D' edit descriptor
produces a number and an exponent separated by an 'E'.  I'm not sure
if this is a bug or not (I think it is), but I think most people would
expect to see a 'D' as the separator.

Example:

      program junk
      double precision dnum
      dnum = 1.
      write(6,100)dnum
 100  format(1x,d9.2)
      end

With g77, this produces:

$ g77 -o junk junk.F
$ ./junk
  0.10E+01

I don't know what the f77 standard has to say about this, if anything,
but shouldn't the output be:

  0.10D+01

FWIW, the Compaq, SGI, and Sun f77 compilers think so.

I know it sounds pretty minor, but this behavior makes looking at
diffs of program output produced by g77 and other compilers more
difficult than it needs to be.

If this is a bug, I'm happy to file a GNATS PR.

(This is with "GNU Fortran 0.5.26 20010731 (experimental)".)

Thanks,
Craig