This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Draft "Unsafe fp optimizations" project description.
- To: amylaar at redhat dot com, gdosreis at sophia dot inria dot fr
- Subject: Re: Draft "Unsafe fp optimizations" project description.
- From: dewar at gnat dot com
- Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 21:33:32 -0400 (EDT)
- Cc: Gabriel dot Dos_Reis at sophia dot inria dot fr, dewar at gnat dot com,gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org, toon at moene dot indiv dot nluug dot nl
<<Now another -- some may qualify it as <censored> -- question: is it
desirable in the name of speed that the compiler chooses to use single
precision in some of the floating-point-expression transformations?
Well I don't think anyone will put up with the compiler doing computations
in sp which the source program explicitly does in dp. However, in C, there
are cases where promotion is required even though in a certain sense it is
not really mandated by the plain language of the source, and I would think
that this is discussable in the -ffast-math context.