This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Draft "Unsafe fp optimizations" project description.
- To: amylaar at redhat dot com, dewar at gnat dot com
- Subject: Re: Draft "Unsafe fp optimizations" project description.
- From: dewar at gnat dot com
- Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 21:32:02 -0400 (EDT)
- Cc: Gabriel dot Dos_Reis at sophia dot inria dot fr, gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org,gdosreis at sophia dot inria dot fr, toon at moene dot indiv dot nluug dot nl
<<It would also be rather dubious on the SH4, where single precision is
considerably faster than double precision.
Not if you already have computed the double precision result. In other words
CSE could regard a*b as equivalent to double(a)*double(b). I agree this is
an unusual case, but certainly might occur.