This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Second Draft "Unsafe fp optimizations" project description.
- To: dewar at gnat dot com
- Subject: Re: Second Draft "Unsafe fp optimizations" project description.
- From: Stephen L Moshier <moshier at mediaone dot net>
- Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 21:17:28 -0400 (EDT)
- cc: toon at moene dot indiv dot nluug dot nl, gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Reply-To: moshier at moshier dot ne dot mediaone dot net
><<Well, the reason I used the word "optimizations" here is that I
>agree with Robert's point of view that there is little to gain from these
>transformations if they aren't optimizations. So I prefer to keep
> The reason for avoiding the term optimization is that too many people
> this term implies a transformation that does not affect results other than
> modifying the time and space behavior. By using the word transformation,
> we emphasize that we are talking about something else here.
Second that! The manner of speaking flies in the face of the rule
that no optimization should change the value of an expression.