Re: gcc 3.0.1 & C++ ABI issues

On Mon, 6 Aug 2001, Franz Sirl wrote:
> Hmm, I'm not very happy with it. Remember this is a regression from gcc-2.95
> and was reported before 3.0 was released. IF we release 3.0.1 without KDE2
> being fixed, I would suggest that fixing that bug [...]

Which version of GCC do we want GNU/Linux distributors to use?

If GCC 3.0 and 3.0.1 are not able to compile a working KDE2, distributors
either will have to stick with GCC 2.95.2 or use a hacked GCC 3.0.1 or
roll their own release.

Red Hat probably is going to do the latter anyway (SPARC64 alone requires
this, AFAIK), but most other distributors like Debian will have more
problems, and in any case this is bound to cause fragmentation and
incompatibilities.

If a fix for this problem as availabe soon after 3.0.1, I'd be in favor of
rolling 3.0.2 ahead of schedule.

Gerald