This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Draft "Unsafe fp optimizations" project description.
- To: dewar at gnat dot com
- Subject: Re: Draft "Unsafe fp optimizations" project description.
- From: Joern Rennecke <amylaar at redhat dot com>
- Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 15:55:10 +0100 (BST)
- Cc: gdosreis at sophia dot inria dot fr, Gabriel dot Dos_Reis at sophia dot inria dot fr,gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org, toon at moene dot indiv dot nluug dot nl
> Well any platform could potentially use 64-bit arithmetic in place of
> 32-bit arithmetic, so I am not sure how you would limit the list for
> the second case.
It wouldn't make sense on the SH3E, which has hardware single precision
FP, but can do double precision FP only by software.
It would also be rather dubious on the SH4, where single precision is
considerably faster than double precision.