This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Changing WCHAR_TYPE from "long int" to "int"?
- To: "H . J . Lu" <hjl at lucon dot org>
- Subject: Re: Changing WCHAR_TYPE from "long int" to "int"?
- From: Ralf Baechle <ralf at oss dot sgi dot com>
- Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 11:59:13 +0200
- Cc: Eric Christopher <echristo at redhat dot com>, gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org, linux-mips at oss dot sgi dot com, GNU C Library <libc-alpha at sourceware dot cygnus dot com>
- References: <20010805094806.A3146@lucon.org>
On Sun, Aug 05, 2001 at 09:48:06AM -0700, H . J . Lu wrote:
> I am working with Eric to clean up the Linux/mips configuration in
> gcc 3.x. I'd like to change WCHAR_TYPE from "long int" to "int". They
> are the same on Linux/mips. There won't be any run-time problems. I am
> wondering if there are any compatibility problems at the compile time
> at the source and binary level. For one thing, __WCHAR_TYPE__ will be
> changed from "long int" to "int". The only thing I can think of is
> the C++ libraries. But gcc 3.x doesn't work on Linux/mips. The one
> I am working on will be the first gcc 3.x for Linux/mips. So there
> shouldn't be any problems. Am I right?
The MIPS ABI defines wchar_t to long. So please go ahead and make the