Re: Draft "Unsafe fp optimizations" project description.

dewar@gnat.com wrote:

><<All well and good, but what of C or C++? Perhaps an almost unfair q, but
>C is where most (at least UNIX) development is taking place.
>

>At this stage C++ probably outruns C, but of course this is only true
>if you restrict yourself to Unix, which only has a small slice of the
>computing market. Overall, dominant programming languages are COBOL
>and Visual Basic (stil :-)

Throughout my last 2 years of HS I avoided VB (We didn't have it before
my jr year), and I avoided it b/c of its fixation on interface, instead
of code/core. (Perhaps I am wrong, but given what I saw in HS, people
were constantly messing up w/ the interface [this may have had w/ the
instructors insistence on full descrtiptive names [sometimes getting
close to the 40 char len limit}])

I admit a certain interest in VC++, but only b/c it is still a coding
language. And I wish I could avoid Java, but realize that won't be
possible in college (CS 162, which I believe the name is Intro to
Progamming, is really a course in Java).

COBOL is alive, true, but that is also one I'd rather avoid. I'd rather
do Fortran or Ada than COBOL (not that either is too bad IMO, but I know
very little of any of the three).