Re: Draft "Unsafe fp optimizations" project description.

----- Original Message -----
From: <dewar@gnat.com>
To: <aj@suse.de>; <dewar@gnat.com>
Cc: <gcc@gcc.gnu.org>; <lucier@math.purdue.edu>;
<toon@moene.indiv.nluug.nl>
Sent: Sunday, August 05, 2001 5:57 AM
Subject: Re: Draft "Unsafe fp optimizations" project
description.

> >>Do you have any pointers to the literature for these
discussions?

> Sorry, no, I would start by going to a good computer science
library. This
> is one time when online searching is unlikely to be very
helpful, since
> much of this material is quite old.
>
> One source of useful input is the original discussions
surrounding the
> adoption of IEEE, and there are definitely a number of
published papers
> here (at least some of these appear as references in Sam's
thesis). In
> particular there is extensive discussion of the
denormal-vs-flush issue,
> which is relevant, given that archiectures like Alpha and
MIPS have
> backed off from the denormal orthodoxy recently.

I don't think the abrupt underflow settings which Itanium and
P4 architectures depend on for good performance qualify as
"denormal orthodoxy."  Do the literature treat the combination
of abrupt underflow with extended exponent range?