GCC and stdlibc++

GCC Team -
	I'm not sure if this is the correct contact point, but if not I hope
you could point me inthe right direction.  I'm interested in doing a kernel
compile (2.4.7) with Redhat 7.1.  The kernel specs require version 2.91-66
of gcc to do the compilation.  Redhat 7.1 ships with gcc 2.96-85.  If I try
to go back to the older version of gcc, I must eventually remove the 2.96-85
version of the stdlibc++ libraries - but doing so would break a lot of other
functionality/dependencies.  I'm wondering if I'm required to match the
version of gcc with the version of stdlibc++, or will a later version of the
libraries work with an earlier version of gcc?  Am I doing this the hard way
or going about it all wrong (or maybe 2.96-85 is supposed to be able to
compile 2.4.7)?

Kenneth Lafond