Re: Help!

> I've downloaded a gcc binary distribution in .tar.Z
> format. It supposed to be extracted into /usr/local,
> but the /usr on my machine has no enough space. Can I
> extract the executables to other directory and use
> gcc?

This would have been a good question for gcc-help, but anyway ...

gcc has wired-in paths to find the compiler passes.  So if you just do
this (put the compiler in a different location) and try to run gcc, you'll
see a message like

installation problem, cannot exec <something>: No such file or directory

where <something> might be cpp or cc1 or cc1plus, depending on the
options you supply.

You can, however, tell the compiler where to look for its components
by the GCC_EXEC_PREFIX enviroment variable.  See the gcc manual for
details.  Here's a link to the relevant section:

http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3.0/gcc_3.html#SEC52