Re: libstdc++ test suite still drives machine into swap

On Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 07:40:10PM -0400, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 07:21:30PM -0400, Phil Edwards wrote:
> > That /is/ the test.  It's not only "test big strings," it's also "test
> > the failure mode of string::allocator running out of memory."
>
> I've misunderstood then.  This snippet (from ctor_copy_dtor.cc) very much
> reads as if it's the size() and capacity() invariants (inside the try block)
> that are meant to be tested.

Yeah... we're really testing one of two possible outcomes.  /If/ it works,
then we /also/ need to check the size() and capacity() invariants.  /If/
it fails, then we /also/ need to check the failure mode.

The fact that the test has caused this much confusion points up its lack
of a good comment, I guess.  Once we hammer out a good strategy, I'll
write something better above the tests.

> > I don't think we have any control over whether the kernel guns the process
> > rather than malloc setting ENOMEM.  We could perhaps replace malloc() with
> > our own version, but then we're not testing the same execution environment
> > that the users would have.
>
> I'm not aware of any implementation under which malloc will succeed if you
> try to allocate a chunk of memory larger than the total memory rlimit all
> at once.  (Is that sentence clear?)

I think it's clear... the test is almost guaranteed to fail, unless the
user has chunkloads of virtual memory, in which case we still have to do
the right thing- arrg.  If we all agreed to go back to 16-bit size_t's
this problem would go away.  :-|

Phil

--
Would I had phrases that are not known, utterances that are strange, in
new language that has not been used, free from repetition, not an utterance