Re: C++ compile-time regressions

> But I wonder if the default value of PARAM_MAX_INLINE_INSNS should be
> a property of the target machine.  Different targets have different
> INSN densities.  I don't know how much this changes from one target to
> another in the early rtl stages used for rtl inlining, though...  Does
> anyone more experienced think it would be worth the trouble?  I could
> produce a patch to make the default target-modifiable.

I think we're tackling this from the wrong angle.  GCC uses about
3 to 4 times as much memory as it needs to, really, and our garbage
collector touches too many pages.  That combination is what it causing
a lot of the problems, in my profiling.  I know how to fix these
problems, I think, and I expect to start working on them soonish.

Anyhow, I guess I think we've done enough for now.