Re: Deprecate -fno-honor-std?

On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 02:53:15PM -0700, Mark Mitchell wrote:
> > Can I use the new library with the old compiler?  Say, a 2.96 from top
> > of the tree from around 6/21 1999?
>
> Maybe.  I sort-of doubt it -- but it might work, or it might be possible
> to make it work.

Many of the changes and fixes since the 2.96/1999 timeframe were to the
compiler and library simultaneously.  That's why we do the explicit check
for a 3.0+ compiler while configuring the library.

Given the number of bugs fixed in the compiler since then, I don't know
that making the new library working with the old compiler would be worth
the effort.

Phil

--
Would I had phrases that are not known, utterances that are strange, in
new language that has not been used, free from repetition, not an utterance