Re: libstdc++ test suite still drives machine into swap

On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 10:59:52PM -0700, Benjamin Kosnik wrote:
> I think Zack and I will just have to disagree on what constitutes
> a testsuite. For me, it includes pathological edge cases as defined in
> the standard. He thinks they are tested elsewhere, I disagree.

I agree with you here; testing pathological cases is Good.

> Since this
> topic seems to be activated by cron jobs every 3 months,

Yes, my "email some reminders" cron table entry fired Sunday night.

I'm not joking....

> Phil please don't remove these tests.

But I disagree with you here.  :-)  My patch just makes insert.cc do the
same thing that ctor_copy_dtor.cc is already doing.  All the tests are
still there.  I'll be the first one to suggest re-pathologicalizing (!) the
size function arguments once we can make DG force the limits properly.

Having the machine kill itself for 5-15 minutes on every test run is
just annoying.  It does however force us to take a typing break.

I could also work up a patch to artificially limit max_size()/npos.
That could conceivably be useful to users in any case.

Phil

--
Would I had phrases that are not known, utterances that are strange, in
new language that has not been used, free from repetition, not an utterance