Re: What is acceptable for -ffast-math? (Was: associative law incombine)

On Wed, 1 Aug 2001 dewar@gnat.com wrote:

> <<The above rules, btw, only apply for exact IEEE math, and on a number of
> machines you _will_ see zero for the first one.
> >>

> Hello! it was you who restricted the discussion to the x86. If we are allowed
> to go to other machines, we have lots more examples up our sleeves :-)

Fair enough. But note how I didn't claim that you cannot get a difference
in the ULP. I _do_ claim that it is not "wrong" unless you specifically
ask for IEEE math - by virtue of pointing to lots of other machines that
do the same (including, apparently, the most modern architecture on the
planet. I don't have one, I can't test).

			Linus