Re: Deprecate -fno-honor-std?

> > --On Wednesday, August 01, 2001 10:08:55 AM -0300 Alexandre Oliva
> > <aoliva@redhat.com> wrote:

> > I think (and I know this is different than what I thought before) that
> > we should just remove the option.  But, we should really see what Jason
> > and Joe think; they are tapped into a different user base than me.
>
> I'm inclined to agree; it was a temporary hack to make standard-conformant
> code work with our non-conformant library.

I suggest using the following method to deprecate the switch: include
the following code at an appropriate point in libstdc++-v3:

// Issue an error if the user tries to compile this header with -fno-honor-std
extern int __no_honor_std_does_not_work_with_the_new_library;

namespace std {
extern double __no_honor_std_does_not_work_with_the_new_library;
};

Why do it this way instead of in the compiler?  So that it will be
possible to build the old library with the new compiler, to make speed
comparisons possible (to find out, say, how much do we lose with the new
headers?  Can people stuck with code that uses the old library have some
option other than bringing it up to standard?)