patches addressing g++ 3.0 compilation speed?

Hello.  I've got an application that is a VHDL compiler that is implemented
in C++, and it also generates C++ as an output.  The compiler itself is
about 200k lines of C++ (using wc to count, so obviously it's not that
accurate.)  The thing is, I'm using both STL and iostreams heavily, and
compilation is dramatically slower with 3.0 over 2.95.x...  It goes from
something like 30 minutes to over two hours on my Celeron 533 machine.
This is really a problem, as g++ 3.0 is _definitely_ superior in terms of
adherence to the standard, but it's really too slow for me to use in
mainline development.

So I'm curious if there are patches being considered for the 3.x branch to
speed C++ compilation?  I'll happily help test them if there are any
available.

Thanks,
	Dale
--