Re: i386 stack missalignment on main

On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 12:27:08AM -0600, law@redhat.com wrote:
>   > But on pretty much any modern processor, the argument pointer is only
>   > a figment of the compilers imagination.  It has to be eliminated.
>
> Err, no.  There are some with argument pointers which are actively used.
> PA64 is a good example.

No, Joern has made a decent generalization -- *most* targets must
eliminate the argument pointer.  That is to say, practically all
of them.  PA64 is an exception, true.

As for "good" or "bad", well...  I guess it's interesting in some
ways -- it's probably the only C ABI that could directly support
call-with-continuation.  Though that does strike me as an odd thing
to want to do with a C ABI.

r~