Re: make install problems (libjava) with CVS 3.0.x branch

On Jul 30, 2001, Christian Iseli <chris@ludwig-alpha.unil.ch> wrote:

> aoliva@redhat.com said:
>> > I have a problem with make install using the current 3.0.x CVS branch.
>> Are you using GNU make?

> Yes.  This is on a Linux (RedHat based) box.

>> > libtool: link: unable to infer tagged configuration
>> > libtool: link: specify a tag with `--tag'
>> > make[2]: *** [libgcj.la] Error 1
>> > make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/obj-i386-linux/
>> > i386-pc-linux-gnu/libjava'

>> Remove .../i386-pc-linux-gnu/{config.cache,libjava} and try again.

> Do you mean I should remove them right before the make install?

Oh!  I had missed the fact that the problem only showed up at install
time.

The problem is that the -B${prefix}.../ flags show up differently
between build and install time, and this confuses libtool.

One solution is to explicitly pass the tag name to libtool, so that
it doesn't try to infer the tag name from the command line, which is
deemed to fail in this set-up.  A patch that adds the tag would be
appreciated.

Another alternative is to build and install with the modified prefix.
This is not a problem for GCC, because it now auto-detects the exec
prefix from its run-time location.