Re: Traditional numbers

On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 05:24:48PM +0200, Bernard Dautrevaux wrote:
> I would agree with you, except that the "-traditional" flag here is bending
> gcc towards "traditional" C, as opposed to ANSI C. I agree that in ANSI C
> 0xffffffff is positive; however in traditional C is may be (and often is)
> negative :-)

True. My standards reading is coming back to haunt me. I read "traditional"
and thought C89 as opposed to C99, but that's -std= stuff, of course,
not -traditional. Heh.

How consisent were pre-ANSI compilers about interpreting the constant
as negative? My memory of pre-ANSI compilers is a bit rusty (obviously).

In any case, yes they should behave the same, one way or another.

-jim