Re: SH Linux: remove big endian multilib

* Andrew Haley <aph@cambridge.redhat.com> on Mon, Jul 30, 2001:

> No.  The top level build of gcc on an SH Linux system (i.e. SH3,
> little endian) does not work at the present time.  The user should not
> have to create big endian versions of glibc in order to configure and
> build gcc.

It's worked from CVS snapshots for me since May (and before then), on SH4
little-endian targets.  But only using the patches that add the
sh[34]-linux-* targets that disable multilib.  I'm not in total agreement
of using the sh[34] notation, but that's what I needed to build glibc and
full gcc, and it worked.

> There's no reason not to add more targets, but
>
> a.  The top level build of gcc *must* build, and
>
> b.  It should have a sensible default configuration.  At present, SH
> Linux targets a SH3 and little endian, so gcc should do the same.

IMHO, the developer should be able to specify the defaults of what gcc
should target, just like you would for Mips.  BTW, SH Linux doesn't just
run on SH3/little-endian, it runs on SH4's and supports big-endian byte
ordering.

M. R.