RE: Compiler for Red Hat Linux 8

Last one for me too...

> > I'm not sure I understand you: I get the original mail from
> Ken (through the
> > mailing list of course) with proper quotes! It seems it's
> YOUR Operating
> > System Of Choice (or one of the mail relays between the
> mailing list and
> > your system) that replace quotes with question marks...
>
> This is how my inbox sees the quotes of the text Ken sent:
>
> <QUOTE>
> I\x92ve just gone through this process, pretty much exactly
> as Sergey described, including digging around trying to
> find info on what patches, versions, etc. of the tools
> are required, and agree that it\x92s a sort of black magic.
> Saying \x93use an official released version to build your
> system\x94 becomes a lot more palatable if there would always
> </QUOTE>
>
> Doesn't look like the ASCII ' encoding to me ...
>
> [ If you're still not convinced, I can send you an `od' dump
> of the mail
> ]

Oh I'm convinced!... I just now realize your mail reader isn't able to
display correctly iso-8859-1 (latin-1) character set :-)

Looking at the headers you'll see that you send only us-ascii (a quite old
subset of iso-8859) while a lot of people use the *standard* iso charset,
where 0x91 is "opening single quote", 0x92 closing, 0x93 "opening double
quote" and 0x94 closing.

Regards,

	Bernard

PS: Just curious: how did you send Dutch diacritics if you only use us-ascii
(or is Dutch different from other german languages in not using any of
these?)

Bernard Dautrevaux
Microprocess Ingenierie
97 bis, rue de Colombes