Re: Beyond GCC 3.0: Summing Up

<<In OpenBSD, we do manage six months release schedule. The way it works
is simple: we do releases every six months. Everything that is not stable
when release time gets near gets cut off. Our leader bitches, curses at

This is fine if you do not have a paying customer constituency to worry
about. One of the major issues in a new release for us is new functionality
required by selected customers in new releases. This means that we have to
carefully schedule these releases to make sure that critical customer
needs are met. You can't just tell an important customer ("sorry, the
feature you need missed the cut off by two days, bad luck, you have to
wait another six months").

However, I agree that once things are stable, a six month release cycle
using the approch quoted above should be a goal for GCC. Vendors choose
for themselves how closely to coordinate their own release schedules
with this schedule, and that is not our (GCC/FSF hat on) concern.