Re: Sigh. Inlining heuristics.

<<We already do.  My proposal is only for the default value.  And it's
hard to tell whether it's really going to give worse performance.
There's a cache hit, indeed, if you inline the same large function
into multiple other functions, but if you call it only once, and you
get it inlined, you'd be saving the function-call overhead without any
cache hit, as long as branch prediction doesn't mis-predict entering
the inlined function code.  Or so I think, I don't know much about
this stuff :-)

Any increase in code size potentially increases icache pressure.