Re: Beyond GCC 3.0: Summing Up

Mark Mitchell wrote:

> > [1] Some regressions we do not even care about.  So what if romp
> >     doesn't build?
>
> David asked about this on the SC list, too, and I think it's
> an important question.  If we, as a community, decide to desupport
> a particular platform, that's fine.  In fact, the less we do
> the more successful we will be at what we do do.  I wouldn't mind
> dropping support for a lot of old targets.  [...]

GDB already has a two-stage process for this, where the first stage
is to research the status of the target, and if it appears moribund,
declare its support obsolete, comment out all the code, and make a
release with the obsolete code still present.  Then if nobody speaks
to save it, delete it from the next release.  So far none of the
obsoleted targets has had to be unexpectedly resurrected.

Stan