Re: Beyond GCC 3.0: Summing Up

On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 01:24:05AM -0300, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> On Jul 10, 2001, dewar@gnat.com wrote:
>
> > If your patch causes things to fail that did not fail before, then
> > your patch is ultimately at fault!
>
> Even when the patch also causes things to work that did not work
> before?  Is it more important to keep the set of known failures
> unchanged than to make progress by fixing a bug, even if exposing
> another latent bug?  I don't think so.

I think it depends on the nature of the latent bug. If it is an
rare, isolated bug, it is ok to fail if the other bugs are fixed.
But if the change prevents gcc from bootstrapping on a major platform
or compiling some common applications on a major platform, I think
the change should be backed out.

H.J.