Re: [GCC 3.0] Bad regression, binary size

On Mon, 9 Jul 2001, Marc Espie wrote:

> In article <200107082128.f68LS4x08156@penguin.transmeta.com> you write:
> >gcc-3.0 already gets complaints for generating slower and more bloated
> >code than previous gcc releases. That should tell people something.
>
> Try not to jumble things together, please. The ix86 alignment properties
> is nothing new at all.

Hmm.. It was reported as the potential reason for the bigger OpenBSD
kernel.

Now, that report may obviously have been bogus, of course. There may be
something else going on. Linux uses "-mpreferred-stack-boundary=2" exactly
because the default behaviour of newer gcc's is very much suboptimal
(certainly for the kernel, and I will bet that it is for most applications
compiled with gcc).

		Linus