Re: documentation for cross compiling.

On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 07:38:40AM -0700, H . J . Lu wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 07:26:57PM +0900, NIIBE Yutaka wrote:
> > Hi HJ,
> >  > +       case "${target}" in
> >  > +       *linux*)
> >  > +	       # Linux targets have the C library header files.
> >  > +	       ;;
> >  > +       *)
> >  > +               inhibit_libc=-Dinhibit_libc
> >  > +	       ;;
> >  > +       esac
> >  >  else
> >  >         if [test x$with_newlib = xyes]; then
> >  >                 inhibit_libc=-Dinhibit_libc
> >
> > This change is questionable.  There's a situation where we don't have
> > C library (yet).  I mean, when we start development of porting, we
> > don't have C library.
>
> I have done that many times. It only happens once per port.

That depends if you insist on full proper bootstraps or not.  Every
time I to a daily build for one of our architectures, we start without
a target libc installed.  This prevents all sorts of unpleasant
lingering problems.

When I build gcc first for a given target, I have no libc.

> > Actually, I have such a kind of experience for our GNU/Linux support
> > of SuperH.  The bootstrap goes like this.
> >
> 	(0) Install the header files from the x86 port.

That's gross.  I'm not amazed that it works, but if anything ever goes
wrong it'll be almost impossible to track down.