--prefix=/usr (was Re: GCC vs GLIBC: why this stance, Drepper ?!?)

On Mon, Jul 02, 2001 at 09:57:16AM -0700, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

> > > Does it behave correctly in overwriting libgcc?  My reading of
> > > install-sh suggests that it should be fine.
> >
> > My reading of install-sh says it doesn't work correctly here (it removes
> > the old file, then tries to move in the new file - which would fail if mv
> > were dynamically linked against libgcc).  I made some attempts to
> > reproduce this in a chroot some time ago but they failed to show the
> > problem because (a) the shared libc didn't get linked against the shared
> > libgcc and (b) through fragile means, the C program "install" was used
> > instead of install-sh
> > <URL:http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2001-03/msg01327.html>.
>
> I take it back; you're quite right.
>
> As a purely technical issue, should we correct this?

I have a sneaking suspicion that we can't get it right in all cases.

For starters, I /would/ like to see a detailed list of the problems
involved when --prefix=/usr is given, sort of a "list of known things
that go nuts".  Then we'd have something to point to, both when discussing
possible solutions, and when users submit bug reports.

Phil

--
Would I had phrases that are not known, utterances that are strange, in
new language that has not been used, free from repetition, not an utterance