Re: SSE2 benchmarks

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paolo Carlini" <pcarlini@unitus.it>
To: <gcc@gcc.gnu.org>
Cc: <jh@suse.cz>; <dnovillo@redhat.com>
Sent: Friday, June 29, 2001 9:16 AM
Subject: SSE2 benchmarks

> Hi all,
>
> weeks ago someone expressed interest in the SSE2 code generation
> capabilites of GCC3.x...
>
> Now I'm reading this interesting paper:
>
>     http://www.aceshardware.com/Spades/read.php?article_id=40000189
>
> Would'nt be nice to redo those public domain benchmarks (called
"Flops")
> with GCC3.1 experimental ??
>

> Cheers,
> Paolo.
>

> P.S. I should point out that I don't have an SSE2 processor myself, so
> can only listen at other people results...

That article scoffs at loops involving branches, but it happens that the
gcc-3.1 -msse2 option is doing extremely well on certain cases involving
comparison and branches, as well as on some cases involving sum
reductions.  More than one person has jumped into assuming that
gcc -msse2 includes vectorization, but up to now it uses only serial
sse2 instructions.