Re: Beyond GCC 3.0

On Fri, Jun 29, 2001 at 09:57:32AM +0100, Nathan Sidwell wrote:

> H . J . Lu wrote:
> > >   - Do bug fix releases two and four months after the major
> > >     releases, as required.
> >
> > Unless I am mistaken, I don't think there should be a time constraint
> > on the bug fix releases. We know any gcc releaases can't be bug-free
> > for everyone. Every gcc release has bugs, some of which are critial to
> > some people. If we can make the bug fix branch relatively stable, what
> > is wrong to make a bug fix release everytime when there are enough bug
> > fixes checked in? Sure, it may have new bugs. But it does fix some old

> If we do have releases every six months and the monotonic improvement
> goal is achieved, the release N+1 will have all the fixes you'd want to
> have in release N's third bug fix release. If that doesn't happen, then
> we've messed up. Two exceptions,

Assuming release N you talked about is a major release, I don't
think the first version of release N will ever have no regressions
and bugs without workaround. All I said was we should make
release N with no regressions/bugs without workaround by making
frequent, incremental bug fix releases against release N.

H.J.