Re: 3.0-pre vs 3.0 on Haney speed

Hi,

Mark Mitchell wrote:

> > Could it be related to this patch?
> >
> > 2001-06-09  Mark Mitchell  <mark@codesourcery.com>
> >
> >         * toplev.c (rest_of_compilation): Remove dead code before
> >         purge_addressof.
> >

> That patch was only in the tree for a few brief days: it was a huge win,
> except that it didn't work.  So, if someone benchmarked during the time
> it was in, that would explain seeing better results than in the actual
> 3.0. Also, we turned off sibling call optimizations for C++ in the
> final weeks before 3.0.

Thanks for your authoritative feedback. May I point you to my follow-up
message:

    http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2001-06/msg01660.html ???

In the light of those tests, I strongly believe that the specific slow down
in the Complex matrix C++ test is *not* attributable to your patch being
reverted (too bad, by the way...).

Thanks,
Paolo Carlini.