Re: [RFC] Suggested replacement for specs and switch handling

Neil wrote:
> The above method does have one disadvantage compared to specs, as
> Michael Meissner pointed out: we don't have run-time configuration any
> more.  Specs allow to you tweak the behaviour of command line options
> in a limited way at run time by editing a SPECS file.  However, I
> believe the advantages of this method over SPECS outweigh this
> disadvantage.

gcj currently depends on this this feature.  We create a spec file at
libjava configure time based on various target considerations.  Check out
libjava/libgcj.spec.in.

Embedded developers also manipulate spec files for various reasons.  It's
nice that they can do this without touching the compiler source.

Isn't there some way to address your concerns while keeping runtime
configuration?

AG