mail delays

As many of you noticed, mail turn-around times have been poor for the
last week or so.  Delays of 12-18 hours were not uncommon.  It's widely
believed the GCC 3.0 release has severely stressed our server.

On Wednesday night I changed our FTP server to disable downloads of the
GCC release directory, except for mirror sites.

Yesterday Ian Taylor put in changes to limit the number of anoncvs
connections allowed by our server.

These two changes have allowed the server to catch up on its mail backlog
(typical deliveries are happening in < 10 minutes now).

I'll be relaxing the restrictions on anon FTP/CVS slowly and will continue
to monitor the system closely.

Thanks for your patience,
jeff