Re: is --enable-threads supported on HP-UX 11.00?

In article <3B321781.B05AF72B@trema.com> you write:

> Configured with: ../gcc/configure --prefix=/usr/gnu --with-gnu-as
> --with-as=/usr/gnu/bin/as --enable-threads

> Thread model: single

> Isn't the --enable-threads passed to configure and Thread model:
> single a contradiction in terms?

[This follow-up is in addition to my response to your PR, 3314.]

According to the current logic of configure: This is not really a
contradiction in that the configuration options --enable-threads
really means ``please configure the best known threading libraries for
this target''.  Sometimes single threading is the best or only known
thread package for a target (or at least the best known to
@file{gcc/config.gcc}.  At least, gcc now reports exactly what thread
package was configured.  Before gcc 3.0, you could have this type of
configuration yet have no easy way to know as a user.

I personally think that anyone that configures with just
--enable-threads should get a fatal ``early configuration''-time
warning when single is the best that can be done for a platform.  This
would make the situation match how both you and I thought it should
work.

I already have a pending patch to gcc/configure.in to improve thread
configuration before config.gcc is parsed.  I will submit another
patch to address the issue you raise after the first is explicitly
approved or rejected.

See: http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2001-06/msg01162.html

Regards,
Loren
--
Loren J. Rittle
Senior Staff Software Engineer, Distributed Object Technology Lab