Re: binutils-2.11.2.tar.bz2

Hi,

>> How about use gzip as more known and accetable standard?
>
>gzip is fine, but the question was about a .tar.bz2 file, so gzip
>won't do.

perhaps Piotr was alluding to the fact that all the mirror hosting
2.11.2 right now, that is all of

    http://sources.redhat.com/mirrors.html

have *only* the bz2 version...
However, I would argue that bzip2, also available from the same mirrors
(source and binaries), is much more efficient in compressing source
code, and not much slower than LZ77-based algorithms during the
decompression phase. For an introduction to Burrows-Wheeler techniques
see:

    http://dogma.net/markn/articles/bwt/bwt.htm

Cheers,
Paolo.