Re: fixinc and compatibility

Daniel Elstner <daniel.elstner@gmx.net> writes:
> On 17 Jun 2001 11:59:25 -0700 Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> wrote:

>> Hm.  gcc has been like this for *years* (it's not new in 3.0 by any
>> stretch), and I've compiled literally hundreds of software packages
>> with gcc over the years and I don't think I've *ever* had this problem.

> The include behaviour is not new, but the fixinc mechanism which
> triggers the problem.

fixincludes has been part of gcc for many years, so I don't understand
what's changed that would be causing this problem.  Maybe I'm missing
something?

> You're right - and I already submitted a patch for GTK--.  But it will
> take a long time until *every* package is fixed.

GTK+ itself works fine.

> I consider writing a wrapper script around gcc, but I'm sure other
> people will have the problem, too. It would be nice having a solution in
> gcc itself.

It's *never* been correct to add -I/usr/include.  I'm amazed that there
are still packages making this mistake; like I said, I've hardly ever run
into a package with this problem.