From: dewar@gnat.com [mailto:dewar@gnat.com]
Sent: Friday, June 15, 2001 10:09 AM
To: amylaar@redhat.com; bobbymcn2002@yahoo.com; zackw@Stanford.EDU
Cc: acahalan@cs.uml.edu; dewar@gnat.com; gcc@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: RE: criteria.html open issues

>>What do you think about -O3?

We always advise our users (of GNAT) against using -O3 because
in practice we find it usually pessimizes performance (presumably
because of excessive icache misses). Of course in Ada it is
standard practice to specifically mark in the source (with
pragma Inline) things that should be inlined, so it is not
particularly helpful to have the compiler second guessing
the users specification.