Re: what to do with libstdc++'s thanks.html ?

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001, Phil Edwards wrote:

> But what to do with the two files?  Merging them is a possibility, but
> we've traditionally been mentioning/listing the contributions that the
> volunteers have make to libstdc++, and gcc's thanks.html would suddenly
> become a lot bigger.  (Also, I won't have time to do this myself.)

I recommend merging libstdc++'s thanks.html into gcc/doc/contrib.texi (the
source for GCC's thanks.html).  Some items will need editing to give them
the libstdc++ context when included in the general list.  Some people have
entries in both that should be merged.

-rw-rw-r--    1 jsm28    jsm28        4526 May 19 10:48 thanks.html
-rw-rw-r--    1 jsm28    jsm28       16492 Jun 10 23:34 contrib.texi

I don't think the increased size of contrib.texi should be a problem.

Merging this list is mentioned in projects/web.html as something that
should be done.  (The Java people wanted their page to end up in the GCJ
manual rather than the main GCC one.  Since C++ is covered in the main
manual, but Fortran and Java have their own manuals and the Fortran one
includes its own contributors list, this is logically consistent, though I
think having just one list in the main manual would give better visibility
to the contributions of the people in the subsidiary lists.)

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk