Re: Problem with install to /usr/local ?

On Sat, Jun 02, 2001 at 10:27:27PM -0500, Gordon Sadler wrote:
> After searching through various mailing lists, I've spotted something on
> the libc-bugs list that made me look closer.
>
> I have gcc-2.95.4(Debian unstable) installed via deb so it resides in
> /usr. I have compiled gcc-3.0 from CVS, and have installed it to
> /usr/local. I can use either compiler by specifying gcc-2.95 or gcc-3.0,
> etc.
>
> Here's what I find a bit troublesome:
>
> gcc-2.95 -print-file-name=cpp
> /lib/cpp
>
> ls -l /lib/cpp
> /usr/bin/cpp-2.95
>
> gcc-3.0 -print-file-name=cpp
> /lib/cpp (??) <- how?
>
> ls -l /usr/local/bin/cpp
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 gbsadler staff      163881 Jun  2 12:10
> /usr/local/bin/cpp
>
> echo $PATH
> /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games
>
> I'm remakeing gcc-3.0 now with --program-suffix='-3.0' to see if that
> has any relevance.

Ok, tried above. --program-suffix has 0 effect on installed files. I
believe this is due to the fact there is a mix of cygnus
configure/autconf style configure's plus Makefile.in's are not written
to support this.

Now I decided to try something that the Makefile.in's do support,
--program-transform-name='s/$/-3.0/;'. And this does appear to work
well, until.. the compiler is done bootstrapping and the process goes
up to toplevel and attempts to configure libstdc++ and libiberty again.
At this point the arguments to configure are badly quoted. Leading to
the option being passed without quotes.
(--program-transform-name=s/$/-3.0/;) This causes the semi-colon to be
interpreted by the shell rather than passed to the option.

I've looked at the toplevel configure mix before, and been warned away
by others. With some cygnus configure stuff mixed with lower level
autoconf configure's, I'm not well versed enough to find this I think.
Hopefully, someone else can locate and fix this.

--
Gordon Sadler