Re: [RFC] Cleaning and extening the diagnostics machinery

On Thu, May 31, 2001 at 07:12:00PM +0100, Neil Booth wrote:
> Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:-
> > In the long term, for C++ at least, I'd like highlighting support and
> > better formatting logic.
>
> What do you mean here?  Just curious.

I can't speak for Gaby, but...

When line-wrapping, the choices for breaking the line are sometimes less
than optimal.  Balancing parens, brackets, < and > for templates, quote
marks, etc, can be very important.  The show-location=once setting was a
big improvement, as it toned down the number of repetitive printings of
the filename.

Like that one message I linked to... a lot of tools and editors assume that
output from gcc is going to be of the form file:line:text, and that will
probably have to remain the default until the end of time.  But I'd like some
(short!) command-line option to turn on pretty-printing of, say, templates:

    template < T [with T=int],
               U [with ....],
               template < Q [with...] >

or something.  Anything.

For highlighting support, personally I'm thinking of GNU ls, where ANSI
escape sequences can be listed in an LS_COLORS environment variable.

Phil
Hmmmmm... HTML-formatted diagnostic text... ouch my brain