Re: 3.0 -finline-limit and c++

Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
> > The current tree-based inlining heuristics are not ideal -- but they
> > do go a long ways towards making sure that we have non-infinite
> > compile-times.
>
> One thing I suggested to Mark is performing the inlining (resp. breaking
> of inline chains) bottom-up instead of top-down in the tree, which might
> help performance in some cases.
Yes, this idea has occurred to me, and I've scribbled down some pseudo
code on how to DTRT. I'd like to implement that, because I believe
it will give better run-time & run-space optimization at the expense
of compiler memory usage. Naturally I don't
have time right now, and even if I did it's far to late for 3.0

I'll probably bash on it after 3.0.

nathan

--
Dr Nathan Sidwell   ::   http://www.codesourcery.com   ::   CodeSourcery LLC
         'But that's a lie.' - 'Yes it is. What's your point?'