Re: How would *you* use an intern?

On Thu, May 31, 2001 at 03:29:46AM -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:

> > Linking files residing on an NFS-Server often gives me a load of < 5%
> > with a most significant amount of iowait, even on a fast network.
> >
> > I assume this could be improved by de-serializing the link process?
>
> Yeah.  The linking process is highly parallelizable.  Loading objects
> is, resolving symbols is, laying them out in memory isn't, relocating
> is, writing out the executable isn't (well, might be).

Ah, I didn't know that.  Thanks.

The last time I looked at libbfd bottlenecks in any detail was 1997 or
so, and the main trouble for the case I was interested in was doing
lots of seeks and small writes via stdio.  I remember thinking that
for most things it'd be more efficient to dump everything into a big
memory block and then blit that to disk all at once with low level I/O
primitives.

Mind, that wasn't ld I was looking at, that was *ar.*  Why ar has to
do seeks is completely beyond me.

--
zw "But that means every licensed realtor in America is a creature from outer
   space!" I shouted.  "What are we going to do about it?"