Re: GCC developers and standards development

On 30-May-2001, Gabriel Dos Reis <Gabriel.Dos-Reis@cmla.ens-cachan.fr> wrote:
> "Joseph S. Myers" <jsm28@cam.ac.uk> writes:
>
> | Are any GCC developers (including developers for language front ends not
> | yet distributed with GCC) actively involved with the relevant language
> | standards committees?
>
> I think there are. From the C++ land, I know Jason Merrill (core
> language), Benjamin Koznik (library), Mike Stump, Fergus Henderson and
> others lurking there :-) and myself take part to WG21 technical
> discussions.  I'm also on WG11.

My main qualification as a GCC developer is in developing the Mercury
front-end.  Apart from that, although I've been using GNU C for a long
time, and contributing my share of bug reports, I haven't done much GCC
development.  But I have been following the gcc and gcc-patches mailing
lists since late last year.

For Mercury, there is as yet no formal language standard committee.
However, I am one of the main designers of the language and one of
the authors of the Mercury Language Reference Manual, which is the
authoritative document which defines the Mercury language, so that's
about as close as you can get ;-).

The Mercury Language Reference Manual does specify which features
are standard parts of the Mercury language, and which are specific to
the University of Melbourne Mercury implementation.  The Mercury GCC
front-end supports all the standard features of the Mercury language
(there are still a couple of obscure combinations of features which are
not yet supported, though).

As for other languages, I've been on the WG21 (C++) committee mailing
lists since 1994, and on the WG14 (C) mailing lists since 1995 or
thereabouts.  I attended one C++ committee meeting which happened to
be in the same country as an academic conference that I was attending
around that time, but due to lack of travel funding and time have not
been able to attend any others.

I'm also planning to attend a one-day meeting on June 18th of the ECMA
standards committee ECMA TC39/TG3, which is standardizing the CLS (Common
Language Specification) for the ECMA CLI (Common Language Infrastructure)
<http://lightning.csse.monash.edu.au/.net/CLI/>.  Since this is based on
Microsoft's .NET CLI, I'm not sure if it has that much relevance to GCC,
except in the general sense of trying to ensure that these standards
are implementable by the free software community, and that they are not
too skewed towards Microsoft's implementation and Microsoft's specific
languages (though the latter may already be very difficult at this point).
If the GCC developers have any comments on any of these ECMA standards,
I'd be interested in hearing them and forwarding them to the ECMA committee.