Re: How would *you* use an intern?

Per Bothner wrote:

> Stan Shebs <shebs@apple.com> writes:
>
> > A more radical change that we were thinking about was to make GCC
> > reentrant in some fashion, so you could have multiple incremental
> > compiles going on behind the scenes, but not be thrashing the
> > machine by bringing up cc1 executables up and down all the time.
>
> I don't see how this can be of any use until/unless you integrate the
> assembler into cc1, like we've already done for cpp.

Yup.  Then for extra credit we make the linker incremental...

Actually, I think you'd still win even if the assembler were separate,
because it's so much smaller, and if you were compiling only a single
function, the asm file would be small too.

And after all that, plus precompiled headers, we might be almost as
fast as our proprietary competitors!  Oh well, gotta start somewhere.

Stan