Re: How would *you* use an intern?

Stan Shebs <shebs@apple.com> writes:

> A more radical change that we were thinking about was to make GCC
> reentrant in some fashion, so you could have multiple incremental
> compiles going on behind the scenes, but not be thrashing the
> machine by bringing up cc1 executables up and down all the time.

I don't see how this can be of any use until/unless you integrate the
assembler into cc1, like we've already done for cpp.

Ideally, you'd want to generate binary code directly from rtl,
rather than generating and then parsing assembly code, but a
useful intermediate step may be to go via text, but write the
assembly text to an internal buffer rather than a file.
--
	--Per Bothner