Finding Aliasing Bugs

dewar wrote:
> No one is saying they are easy to find, but that's not a good argument for
> having the compiler operate in crippled mode by default. Remember we are
> only arguing about the default setting here.

Which is an inconvenience for people not prepared to deal with the
issue.
It seems like it ought to be possible to warn about where and when
presumed non-aliasing is being used for optimizing purposes.  With such
a warning and observed differences between optimized and non-optimized
code, it would at least be possible for people to focus their efforts
on understanding those optimized parts of the code.